Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Removing 604 horns

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member Cal Weldon's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2004
    Location
    British Columbia
    Posts
    648
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Removing 604 horns

    I have the 604-8H and I want to remove the horns as the look kinda cloudy. I am guessing someone used something on them. They are not here where I am so I can't see for myself, but I go there everyday and I can do what you tell me.

    How do I remove the horns and what do you suggest to make them not so cloudy and oxidized looking? I wish to remove them so I don't damage the drivers while doing the work.

    Thanks.
    Nothing like a great big pair of speakers to make your day.
    [url]http://s286.photobucket.com/albums/ll111/calweldon/?start=all[/url]
    [url]www.calweldonconsulting.ca[/url]

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member donaldpatten's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 26th, 2004
    Posts
    336
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Re: Removing 604 horns

    Cal
    I had GPA rework a 605A that someone had replaced the multi cell horn with a blue UREI.

    I recall they used a solvent and lots of Qtips . I think they used MEK. DONOT BREATHE this stuff .

    Don

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member cradeldorf's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 16th, 2010
    Location
    Muskegon Mi.
    Posts
    1,334
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

    Re: Removing 604 horns

    I'm pretty sure you have to cut the felt ring to get at the screws, I'd shoot for something more along the way of that armor all stuff for blackening things. Not sure what it's called.

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member Cal Weldon's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2004
    Location
    British Columbia
    Posts
    648
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Removing 604 horns

    Just getting back to this, thanks for the responses. I guess if I am careful, I could just do the Q-tip and Armour-All type stuff.
    Nothing like a great big pair of speakers to make your day.
    [url]http://s286.photobucket.com/albums/ll111/calweldon/?start=all[/url]
    [url]www.calweldonconsulting.ca[/url]

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member cradeldorf's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 16th, 2010
    Location
    Muskegon Mi.
    Posts
    1,334
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

    Re: Removing 604 horns

    I wasn't sure if you wanted to remove the whole horn or separate the two parts of the horn. either way they both sound scary. Good luck Cal. I saw something pretty scary on youtube but I wouldn't want to try it. They were using a heat gun on automotive plastic to bring it back to life. also saw a guy on there using Pam....

  6. #6
    Junior Hostboard Member acasanis's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2012
    Location
    Toronto Canada
    Posts
    17
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Removing 604 horns

    I've used the heat gun "trick" on my bumpers (86 VW Jetta) to "bring back the black". Not recommended.

    Alternatively, I have used black (kiwi brand) leather shoe die with outstanding success on said bumpers and other plastics. Lasts about 5 months before it starts fading due to rain.

    It must be kiwi brand though - other brands have a purple hue to them. Found at the local Walmart (only in US not Canada).

    I actually have an extra unopened bottle in my desk at work. If you are interested in trying it, shoot me an email with your details and I can send it off to you!
    [email protected]

  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member Cal Weldon's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2004
    Location
    British Columbia
    Posts
    648
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Removing 604 horns

    That's a super generous offer. Let me see if I can locate it here and if not I will let you know.

    Thanks.
    Nothing like a great big pair of speakers to make your day.
    [url]http://s286.photobucket.com/albums/ll111/calweldon/?start=all[/url]
    [url]www.calweldonconsulting.ca[/url]

  8. #8
    Senior Hostboard Member juniper's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 8th, 2011
    Posts
    368
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Removing 604 horns

    You may want to try a mixture of boiled linseed oil and paint thinner, or straight BLO. It works wonders on plastics and last longer than anything I have ever used. Makes grey whitish plastic turn black and lasts and lasts. Good luck....

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28222319 times.